Like most companies, when we got started we were full of questions and needed answers.
What to use? Why? What are the pros and cons of each choice? What matters most? Looking back now, we feel positive we’ve made the right choices!
One of those choices was using the Google App Engine to track the errors we received, instead of paying for an expensive infrastructure that we would have to constantly upgrade. Money is not the only reason we decided against that. As a company whose product is software, we wanted to give our full focus to developing a product that would satisfy and help fellow developers. Dedicating our time to figuring out which hardware was the best for us, and repeating that every time our demands raised was just out of the question. Let’s not even mention the effort it would take to ensure there would not be any security risks.
Today we get an average of 10 million errors reported each day, and to our customers’ satisfaction, we never had to take the service offline for even one second. No matter what changes we made to our product, we have always been able to help thousands of users (be it independent app developers or multinational companies) track their bugs and improve their services, thus building a good reputation with our users that Bugsense is reliable!
Bottom line, as Google’s case study on Bugsense has shown, we saved nearly $220,000 in our first year just by steering clear of hardware. This has allowed us to do cool stuff like offer free bug tracking for opensource projects and include 7 great features in our Indie plan!
Leave your comments on twitter to let us know what you think!